Monday 9 April 2012

Response to "Disney: Rated T for Toddlers"

Original post: http://faithisourmedium.blogspot.ca/2012/04/disney-rated-t-for-toddlers.html

I did some research about "Sophia the First", and the Disney Wiki article stated that "Sofia learns that looking like a princess isn’t all that hard but behaving like one must come from the heart". A NY Daily News article also said that, “Sophia the First” will feature "plenty of pretty dresses and sparkly shoes," but with an emphasis on "what makes a real princess is what's inside, not what's outside." Perhaps it is good that Disney is trying to promote to toddlers that the inside is what matters, but I feel that by making her look like all the other princesses with her princess outfits, appearances still play an important role in this series.

It seems that most of Disney's stories are the typical "From rags to riches", and this show is no exception, as Sophia lived a normal life until her mom decided to marry the King. Maybe it's just me (especially after having watched Real Housewives of Vancouver), but it seems that this shows a sort of gold-digging. Of course this is not Disney's intention, but it struck me after I read about how she suddenly becomes royalty after being married into the royal family. To me, it seems like a possible lesson that could be taken from this show is that as long as you marry well, you won't have to work or struggle anymore. It could also teach children, as jlazaga says, that you need to be rich to be happy. 

I also feel that by Disney putting out a princess to cater to such young girls, they are trying to create brand loyalty at such a young age. Of course, I did watch Cinderella, Snow White, etc. when I was 3 years old and onwards and I was loyal to Disney, but I feel that, as jlazaga says, by having this series on television and for 30 minutes, it increases the chance of viewership and it could create an even closer bond with children 

There isn't too much information about the show yet so I can't speak for the plot, but it will be interesting to see how they narrate inner beauty over outer beauty at such a young age.

No comments:

Post a Comment